Owning a motorcycle is often a dream come true for owners. A motorcycle gives you the option to explore your city with un-measurable freedom, thrill, and excitement. But what happens when that bike gets stolen?
Research has shown that carelessness is often the primary reason why motorcycle theft is such an easy affair. Especially if you live in an area without sufficient parking facilities or in an apartment without a garage. Safety becomes an issue. Thankful, we have loads of motorbike security devices that you can use to secure your motorcycle.
If you do own a motorcycle, here are some basic precautions you should take to prevent motorcycle theft.
- Always look out for the Sold Secure Certification on security devices before purchasing them. This ensures you don’t purchase sub standard or security devices of lesser quality.
- When using wheel locks, you can try locking your bike in different locations.
- When traveling to a new or remote location, ensure you travel with the best motorcycle security device always. Use the best locks and chain to secure your bike and if possible, only park and secure it in an area that has other bikes parked.
- When locking your motorcycle with a disc lock. You can use a shackle disc lock to grab the bike’s rear wheel chain sprout. This is incredibly useful for bikes that don’t have an exposed rotor.
- If you often use security chains to secure your motorcycle, ensure the frame of the bike is well secured rather than leaving the chains on the wheels – as most bikers often do. Another point to note is never to leave a chain lying on the ground as this makes it vulnerable
Here are the forms of security equipment available for motorcycles.
1. Bike Alarms
This used to be traditional security devices used by bike owners, but now the market is flooded with the latest alarms that range from basic touch alarms to motion sensor cloud computing smart alarms. Some other form alarms include The Cricket which is a lightweight alarm that uses low power Bluetooth device with a range of about 150 feet. It raises the alarm within a tenth of a second on your smartphone. You can find the best motorcycle alarms here.
2. Motorbike chain
The motorbike chain is one of the oldest and simplest ways of securing a bike. It is often made from expensive materials that cannot be easily cut off with bolt croppers. It requires a minimum of 16mm size for the chain for secure safety against theft. When using motorbike chains, you need to ensure you mount the security chain on the nonremovable part of the bike’s frame to prevent the bike from being carried away. A motorbike chain is one of the best safety devices against thefts when it’s used along with a lock or a motorbike alarm.
3. Motorcycle Wheel Locks
Another way of safeguarding your bike is by locking it with a wheel lock. These locks have an advantage in preventing bikes from carried away. If you plan to park your bike for a long period, you could try out a combination of motorcycle chains along with motorcycle wheel locks.
Here are essential Motorbike Security Equipment to use
1. ABUS 20/70 Stainless Steel Padlock
Weighing 12 ounces with a product dimension of 2.8 X 1.2 inches, the ABUS 20/70 High-Security Diskus Padlock is 20 series discs lock that is quite reliable and efficient in protecting your motorcycle against theft. It has a body and shackle made from hardened steel which is protected against manipulation of all forms.
Both sides of the shackles are held together with ball and bolts which are immune to bumping and other form of attacks on the lock. The ABUS cylinder is sturdy and constructed in a way to provide a high level of protection to your motorcycle. With it’s over 250,000 key combination which is hard to manipulate and guess, this high-security padlock is resistant to pulling threats, and it sums up everything that is needed to protect your bike from theft.
2. Trimax T645S Hardened Metal Disc Lock
When you need the perfect solution to protect your motorcycle against theft, you need the rugged Trimax T6455. It has a secure and hardened steel that is capable of resisting all forms of drilling. It is strong and provides resistant to chisels and sawing.
You can lock your motorbike with peace of mind knowing that is firmly secured. Made by one of the world’s most trusted brands, the Trimax T645S Hardened Metal Disc Lock
offers functionality without excuses. Once you acquire this specialized lock for your motorcycle, you will realize how versatile it can be. It can be used on marine vessels, power sports and even on tows trailers.
3. Master Lock 187XD Titanium Padlock
Weighing just 12 ounces, this durable padlock offers outstanding security thanks to its sturdy construction which can withstand all forms of abuse. When you lock your bike’s wheel with the Master Lock 187XD Titanium Padlock, you rest assured it’s safe. It has a weather protective sliding cover that ensures the lock is weatherproof. This prevents it from malfunction from the effects of rain or dust. The incidence of leaving your bike unlocked won’t happen with this titanium padlock. It comes with an enclosed keyway which houses the key. This keyway also prevents the lock from jamming thereby lengthening its durability. The best part of all this is that the Master Lock 187XD Titanium Padlock has a lifetime rust free guarantee.